Friends of Hollycroft Park is a registered charity number: 1148058
Work started on Hollycroft Park in 1933 and the main features included an arena area and bandstand, two hard tennis courts, a bowling green with pavilion and a four acre pitch and putt golf course. Originally, there were greenhouses in the park, the first of which was donated by Mrs Hampson of Chesterfield House.
Most of the works were completed in 1935 and the park was opened as part of the Silver Jubilee Celebrations of King
George V and Queen Mary. Mr A. S. Atkins who had been the Town Clerk for thirty-five years performed the opening ceremony. He was given a silver key to open the gates at the Shakespeare Drive and the crowd surged forward to gain entry.
A newspaper article in the Hinckley times reads
“The jubilee coincided with the opening of Hollycroft Park which, after months of preparation, has been beautifully laid out as an open space, complete with water feature, shrubberies, winding pathways, large bandstand and auditorium.
The opening ceremony was performed in the presence of another large crowd, by Mr A. S Atkins, clerk of the urban district council, who was supported by Mr A. J Pickering (chairman of the council), Mrs Pickering, Mrs A. S Atkins, and the members and officials of the Urban District Council. Mrs Pickering and Mrs. Atkins were handed magnificent Jubilee bouquets.
In his introductory remarks Mr. Pickering said he was sure they would all agree that no more fitting occasion could be found on which to open a public park and dedicate it for the use of the public for all time than the Jubilee day of the King and Queen. It was not proposed to call it Jubilee Park, but he was sure it would remain in the memory of all as being associated with that great and auspicious occasion.”